This version is the last release in the third major version branch. In it, we’ve put lots of efforts for the end-user everyday convenient work and smooth integration of the component by programmers into their projects.
Query Building interface
- Code completion in the Expression and Criteria cells of the Query Columns Grid is now used instead of the combo box. This allows for convenient editing of complex SQL expressions with functions and keywords. *
- Database Schema Tree has got the ability to mark specific objects as favourites so they are displayed under the top-most "Favourites" node and can be organized into folders in the tree. *
- The ability to display the details about the selected database object in the Database Schema Tree (currently, field types and descriptions) has been added. *
- The prompt for sub-query deletion doesn’t block the UI now. The user can ignore it and continue the work. (the sub-query will not be deleted in this case)
- The new Japanese localization is made, eight localizations are updated and proofread by professionals: German, French, Spanish, Portuguese (Brazil), Chinese (Traditional), Italian, Turkish, and Russian.
Ease of integration
We've revised all of the auxiliary controls and the intermediate code between Active Query Builder and your software making the integration into your application as quick and straightforward as possible.
Most of the advanced features are based on the usage of separate controls which are available in the Professional version only. These improvements make the Professional version a real time-saver providing the best experience for the programmers.
Below is just the list of the affected modules and ready-to-use forms:
- Methods for easy previewing of the sub-query result data.
- Controls to edit properties of supported .NET DB connection libraries. *
- Ready-to-use form to choose the DB connection library, edit their properties and connect. *
- Controls to edit the component properties. *
- Ready-to-use form to edit all of the component properties. *
- SQL formatting options editor with pre-defined formatting schemes and code preview.
- Metadata Filter Editor control. *
- Ready-to-use form to define metadata filters by end-users. *
- Redesigned Metadata Container Editor (combined with the Metadata Structure Editor).
- New Metadata Loading Wizard. *
Items marked with an asterisk (*) are available in the Professional version only.
Below are the details about that changes:
- All the component properties can be serialized and deserialized now.
- Forms for editing all of the component properties by the user have been made. You can choose the groups of options you want to allow for editing by end-users, display the appropriate forms, save and restore the settings with a few lines of code! *
- Metadata providers have got means for editing properties of respective DBConnection objects by the user. Now you can easily employ the forms to edit all the necessary connection properties by end-users in your app. *
- The Metadata Editor among with the Metadata Loading Wizard (*) has been completely redesigned for better user experience. New connection property editors, metadata filter editor, drag’n’drop actions and lots of minor improvements have been made to make metadata editing simple for advanced end-users.
- The Full-featured demo projects have been improved to illustrate the newly added features and provide the ready-to-use forms.
Main API changes
- The new DatabaseSchemaTree.DefaultExpandMetadataType property allows expanding the tree not to the specified number of levels but up to the specified metadata type (for example, up to schemas or objects). It supercedes the DefaultExpandLevel property.
- Working with image resources has been reorganized. Now each image used in the component is accessible via a public static object. It includes the redefinable primary glyph and a set of glyphs to apply for higher resolutions. Changing the glyph for this object will immediately update the controls which use this image.
- Working with string resources has been reorganized. Now each string used in the component is accessible via a public static object. You can override the value for each string. Changing it will immediately update the text in all controls which use this string.
- UI-control properties used in the separated controls mode (*) are now encapsulated into special property-holding objects which is accessible via the Options property. Old properties are still working but deprecated (they will be removed in the version 4.0).
- The Simple Metadata Filter now accepts full qualified names in the Schemas and Objects collections making possible to filter out specific objects rather than "unwanted names". Its usage is illustrated in the Full-featured MDI demo project.
Retrospective changes since the version 3.4.0
- SAP HANA and Pervasive (Actian Zen) SQL syntax providers have been made.
- The new SubQuery.GetSqlForDataPreview method has been added to generate the text of sub-query for previewing the sub-query data. It takes used named sub-queries from CTE and other fine points into account.
- Checkboxes in datasources on the Design Pane can be hidden now by setting the DataSourceOptions.CheckboxesVisible property to false.
- Expressions in the Expression Editor are formatted now according to the settings assigned to the ExpressionEditor.SQLFormattingOptions property.
- The user interface performance improvements while working on queries with a large number of columns or objects with a large number of fields have been made.
- SQL Text Editor: The first item in the suggestion window is not selected now right after its opening. This eliminates the problem of unwanted substitutions. The user must now press the Arrow Down key to put focus into the suggestion list. *